Riding to the end of the world, and beyond!

  • February 2009
    S M T W T F S
  • My Bike Rides

  • Pandora Archive

  • My Location Map

  • Blog Stats

    • 377,667 hits
  • Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 371 other subscribers

Archive for February, 2009

The Latest

Posted by TravellingStrom on February 28, 2009

Just a bit of an update

I have been going through the US Visa process and I have only one concern. If I am granted a visa and arrive at Los Angeles, I am not guaranteed an entry permit. The Homeland Security people at the airport may send me away. This is probably unlikely to happen, but is a possibility, so working on that premise and the fact that with the Aussie dollar a lot lower than I would like it, it may not be possible to do the full round trip on the funds I have. This may change of course 🙂

With that going through my mind, I have abandoned the choice of taking my bike OS. Just in case I get refused entry and have a bike in a box which would then have to be turned around, I have decided to buy a bike in the states.

I have mentioned this on a few of the bike forums, up at top right on this page, and have recieved a few offers of accomodation while I buy a bike and add all the bits. Thanks to those people, it is a big help. 🙂

I will remove all my bike mods here from the new bike, pack them all in a box and freight that across with me as either excess baggage or a seperate item, whatever is cheaper. At the end of my travels on that continent, I can remove all the gear, sell the bike and if I continue through Europe, buy a new one there. Not an ideal outcome but with the ways things are, the best possible alternative at this time.

I am booked in for a visa interview on 11th March, so hopefully not long after that I will be state side with a box of goodies. I have been looking at bikes for sale, but I will not make any offer until I have a confirmed Visa in my passport. That is also when I will book a flight, so things are still flexible, but I am working on a date of around the 20th March. Virgin have just started a new service to LA and they are quite cheap, so that is good.

I now have the decision to make on what to do with my new bike, do I keep it in my shipping container with my furniture or do I sell it. If anyone is interested in a brand new DL650 ABS with only 3500 km on it, let me know and help my decision making process. Of course, I need to buy another seat, cos I want my airhawk modified one with me, but that should not be a major drama.

Anyway, back to the paperwork 🙂


Posted in Overseas Preparation | Leave a Comment »

%d bloggers like this: